The Chief Digital Officer title has been controversial since conception.
Are Chief Digital Officers just glorified CIOs, CTOs or CMOs? Or is this a unique leadership role with completely different origins?
Do CDOs require a technology or marketing background, or does their role demand a completely different perspective altogether?
To shed light on this timely issue, Paul Rush, Partner at executive search firm Odgers Berndtson, will be moderating a discussion on the role of the Chief Digital Officer.
The panel, “The DNA of the CDO – Reinvention or Unique?,” will explore the origins and responsibilities of the Chief Digital Officer.
The panel will be held as part of the inaugural Sydney CDO Summit on 1 March 2016 hosted at the UTS Business School and presented by Accenture Digital.
The panel will include:
Paul Rush (moderator): Partner at Odgers Berndtson
Paul Rush is a Partner in the Sydney Office of Odgers Berndtson where he leads the CIO/CTO/CDO functional practice for Asia Pacific and Japan. He is a member of the Global CIO functional lead team and manages several regional key accounts within the Telecommunications sector. He has worked across a multitude of industries and types of organisation, including Global MNC’s, ASX Listed Companies, Government, Higher Education, Professional Services and NFP’s.
Danny Bass: CEO at IPG Mediabrands Australia
Danny Bass was appointed CEO at IPG Mediabrands in May 2015, where he leads over 600 employees in the Australia group. He was previously Chief Investment and Intelligence Officer for GroupM Australia for two years, and Chief Digital Officer for five years before that. Danny was also National Sales Diretor at News Digital Media.
Rebekah Horne: Chief Digital Officer at Network Ten
Ms. Rebekah Horne has been the Chief Digital Officer of Ten Network Holdings Limited since January 2013. She served as the Chief Executive Officer of TopFloor.com, a Los Angeles-based start-up. Other previous roles include Australasian, then International, Managing Director of Fox Interactive Media (in the International role she managed 26 territories) and a senior content and commerce position at Optus.
Sarah Pike: CMO at Salmat
Sarah joined Salmat in April 2015 bringing over 18 years’ experience in the telecoms, mobile, TV, technology and digital sectors. Earlier Sarah held VP of Broadband and VP of Product Marketing at Singtel Optus, and was responsible for annual revenues of one billion AUD and more than one million customers. She previously led the SME Products and Marketing business at BT, following a highly successful time at The Carphone Warehouse in London.
Tom Quinn: Former CIO/CTO at News Corp.
Tom has spent 25 years driving successful business outcomes across many different business sectors. He is a recognized expert in large scale enterprise technology, has successfully led a number of high profile digital transformations and has driven profitable exits for Venture Capital investors in early and mid stage technology startups.
Our research shows that the CDO role is not transitional: the number of CDOs doubled again in 2015, to over 2,000 and as we have indicated before, many of them are coming up through the General Management/CEO/President track.
Actually, with the development of new hybrid titles, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to even track the true number of CDOs and their equivalents!
We explored this topic at the recent CDO Summit in London. Click here or on the photo below to read that post and watch the video.
We have explored this topic at previous summits and in prior blog posts:
- First Look: Chief Digital Officer and Chief Data Officer Talent Map 2016 (23 January 2016)
- Don’t Miss “From Bytes to Board: The Journey from Technology to the Boardroom” at the 2015 U.K. Chief Digital Officer Summit (12 September 2015)
- The CDO Hall of Fame: Chief Digital Officers Who Have Become CEO and Board Directors (30 June 2015)
- Number of Chief Digital Officers Doubled Again in 2014 — As Many CDOs Were Elevated to CEO and Board Directors in Q1 2015 as in All of 2014, According to the CDO Club (5 May 2015)
- Chief Digital Officer Jobs for February 2015 (11 April 2015)
- 3 Things Every Chief Digital Officer Needs to Know to Become a Board Director (19 March 2015)
- From Chief Digital Officer to CEO: 6 Tips from HarperCollinsUK CEO Charlie Redmayne (5 March 2015)
- Everything you need to know about Chief Digital Officers and Chief Data Officers in 28 minutes [VIDEO] (24 February 2015)
- Number of Chief Digital Officers Doubled in 2013; Seven CDOs Became CEO and Four CDOs Became Board Directors (11 May 2014)
- From Chief Digital Officer to CEO: 8 Tips on Making the Transition [VIDEO] (17 September 2014)
Don’t miss this chance to meet Australia’s digital leaders – register now to see the “The DNA of the CDO – Reinvention or Unique” panel at the inaugural Sydney CDO Summit.
See Select Sydney Speakers:
If you are tasked with understanding what digital leaders must do in order to succeed in almost any industry, the best place to learn more is at the CDO Summit.
Register today for the Sydney CDO Summit on 01 March, 2016, hosted at the UTS Business school and presented by Accenture Digital.
The CDO Summit is the “must-attend” digital event of the year. The 2013, 2014 and 2015 CDO Summits received stellar endorsements from dozens of speakers and attendees alike:
Managing Director, Digital Strategy/Editorial Director
Harvard Business Review
President Barack Obama 2008 and 2012
Chief Digital Officer
Vice President, Client Solutions