The facts are clear: An increasing number of Chief Digital Officers (CDOs) are being tapped to become CEOs.
Earlier this year, JB Perette, CDO of Discovery Communications, was appointed CEO of Discovery Networks International.
According to the new CDO Talent Map 2014, by CDO Club founder David Mathison, seven Chief Digital Officers became CEOs, and four CDOs became Board Directors in 2013 alone.
That’s a staggering figure, considering there are just a few hundred CDOs to date.
Examples of prominent CDOs who made the leap to CEO, in the last couple of years include:
- Michael Bloom: Former CDO at Wenner Media, CEO at the Guardian News and Media, North America
- Paul Gunning: Former CDO at Tribal DDB and global CDO for DDB, currently CEO at DDB Chicago
- Jean-Philippe Maheu: Former CDO at Oglivy & Mather, became CEO at Bluefin Labs, currently Managing Director for Global Brand and Agency Strategy at Twitter
- Charlie Redmayne: Former EVP and CDO at HarperCollins Publishers, currently CEO at HarperCollins UK
These ascensions are happening quickly. Why?
First, it might be helpful to look backward at their career paths, to see how they got to be Chief Digital Officers in the first place.
Which is exactly what we’ve done for the 2014 CDO Talent Map, which will be presented during Mathison’s opening keynote at the 2nd annual CDO Summit on Tuesday April 22 at 8am.
We explored the backgrounds of hundreds of Chief Digital Officers, which resulted in some stunning statistics:
- More than 60% of Chief Digital Officers in the Advertising sector had previous experience as CEO, President, GM, or Executive Director.
- More than 30% of Chief Digital Officers in the Media sector had previous experience as CEO, President, GM, or Executive Director.
So, it is not surprising that seven CDOs became CEO in 2013.
What’s surprising is that there weren’t more than seven......
NOTE: The CDO Club is now a membership site. You’ll need to register in order to continue enjoying our posts. To register or for more information, click here.
If you are tasked with understanding what digital leaders must do in order to succeed in almost any industry, the best place to learn more is at the fast-approaching NYC Chief Digital Officer Summit, presented by Capgemini on April 29 2015.
Take advantage of our Super Early Bird Discount for New York City in April 2015, Amsterdam in July 2015, Toronto in September 2015, London in October 2015, and Sydney in February 2016. Reserve your place now:
NYC 2015 Speakers:
Dr. Didier Bonnet
Jo Ann Saitta
The CDO Summit is the “must-attend” digital event of the year. The 2013 and 2014 CDO Summits received stellar endorsements from dozens of speakers and attendees alike:
Managing Director, Digital Strategy/Editorial Director
Harvard Business Review
Chief Marketing Officer
Chief Digital Officer
Chief Digital Officer
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research